The Fort at Sujanpur Tira
The fort-palace at Sujanpur-Tira, 22 kms. from Hamirpur town is a historical landmark. The town was founded by Raja Abhey Chand, of ruling Katoch dynasty of Kangra, in 1748 A.D. and the palace, was built in 1758. The entrance is impressive and decorative. Inside, there are deep recesses and the walls have signs of faded paintings. It is a double storey structure, with arches, wall-niches and sizeable rooms. On the right is the Bara dari, where the kings used to hold their darbar. The fort-palace was destroyed in the 1905 Kangra earthquake and later by a fire.
Sujanpur Tira is known for its five temples of which Gauri Shankar is within the palace precincts. Dedicated to Shiva and Parvati, the temple was built by Raja Sansar Chand in A.D. 1804. It has a number of wall paintings that are still bright and have been executed with precision. Floral designs, figures of Lord Shiva, Parvati and Ganesha and other human and divine forms adorn the temple from inside as well as from outside.
Location: 22 kms from Hamirpur. 40 kms from Palampur.